This course is for emergency workers that are require skills maintenance training to perform peripheral intravenous cannulation on clients as part of their job role.
Participants will review the skills and knowledge to safely perform peripheral intravenous cannulation in line with health care procedures.
This course is suitable for Doctors, nurses and allied health professionals requiring up-skilling in peripheral intra-venous cannulation and can be used towards the required CPD points/hours to maintain clinical registration.
The course includes the review of the following:
• Legislative requirements
• Basic anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
• First aid relevant to bleeding from peripheral vascular system
• Basic medical terminology used in peripheral vascular cannulation and pathology laboratory
• Client consent and procedure distraction techniques
• Equipment selection and use
• Infection control procedures
• Assembly and preparation of IV cannulation equipment
• Vein identification
• Associated complications and response
• Documentation procedures
• Removal procedures
• Provide a current HLT41120 Certificate IV in Health Care or equivalent and HLTHPS009 Perform peripheral intravenous cannulation or equivalent
• Provide photo I.D on entry
• Unless exempt, provide a verifiable USI number
• Be physically fit and healthy with capacity to perform manual tasks
• Be able to read, write, communicate orally, and understand and interpret complex information and situations
• Interact with others and work under pressure
• Dress appropriately i.e., long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots/closed in shoes, safety glasses
Please ensure you read our Student Handbook for further information on our policies, procedures, terms, and program conditions.
If you are unsure if you require learning support, SDS can provide access to a LLN assessment that identifies if any learning support is needed. Please ensure you inform the training team on registration, if you fail to inform the training team at registration, learning support may not be available on the day of training.
This course is delivered over half a day and consists of classroom-based theory learning with practical based activities.
$350.00 (No GST applicable)
Assessment includes multiple choice and written knowledge assessment and practical based skills assessments.
Participants are required to perform successful peripheral intravenous cannulation for three (3) different clients. If you are not willing or able to act as a client and be cannulated on more than one (1) occasion you will be required to source 3 individual clients for your practical assessment.
Where a participant is unable to successfully perform IV cannulation for three (3) different clients, a logbook will be provided for completion post-course.
Where a participant is unable to be supervised by a suitably qualified clinician, SDS hold one (1) assessment day per month where participants can book to attend with a client(s) to perform the IV cannulation practical assessment. This assessment day will be charged at $50.00+GST per participant.
On successful completion participants will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for:
• HLTHPS009 Perform peripheral intravenous cannulation
To ensure your skills and knowledge are maintained it is critical you undertake regular skills maintenance training. Where there is no licence or legislated expiry the industry standard for skills maintenance is every two (2) years.