This course is for emergency workers that are require skills maintenance training to perform peripheral intravenous cannulation on clients as part of their job role.
Participants will review the skills and knowledge to safely perform peripheral intravenous cannulation in line with health care procedures.
The course includes the review of the following:
• Legislative requirements
• Basic anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system
• First aid relevant to bleeding from peripheral vascular system
• Basic medical terminology used in peripheral vascular cannulation and pathology laboratory
• Client consent and procedure distraction techniques
• Equipment selection and use
• Infection control procedures
• Assembly and preparation of IV cannulation equipment
• Vein identification
• Associated complications and response
• Documentation procedures
• Removal procedures
• Provide a current HLTAID014 Provide advanced first aid or equivalent and HLTHPS009 Perform peripheral intravenous cannulation or equivalent
• Provide photo I.D on entry
• Unless exempt, provide a verifiable USI number
• Be physically fit and healthy with capacity to perform manual tasks
• Be able to read, write, communicate orally, and understand and interpret complex information and situations
• Interact with others and work under pressure
• Dress appropriately i.e., long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots/closed in shoes, safety glasses
Please ensure you read our Student Handbook for further information on our policies, procedures, terms, and program conditions.
If you are unsure if you require learning support, SDS can provide access to a LLN assessment that identifies if any learning support is needed. Please ensure you inform the training team on registration, if you fail to inform the training team at registration, learning support may not be available on the day of training.
This course is delivered over one (1) day and consists of classroom-based theory learning with practical based activities.
$350.00 (No GST applicable)
Assessment includes written knowledge assessment and practical based skills assessments.
Participants are required to perform peripheral intravenous cannulation for 3 different clients. If you are not willing to act as a client and be cannulated on more than one (1) occasion you will be required to source 3 individual clients for your practical assessment.
On successful completion participants will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for:
• HLTHPS009 Perform peripheral intravenous cannulation
To ensure your skills and knowledge are maintained it is critical you undertake regular skills maintenance training. Where there is no licence or legislated expiry the industry standard for skills maintenance is every two (2) years.