This non-accredited immersive course is for those who have successfully completed, or are in the process of completing clinical placement hours for the Certificate IV in Health Care or above and wish to refresh, update and/or maintain their clinical skills.
This course covers the following clinical skills:
• Primary survey
• Secondary survey
• Vital signs assessment
• Using a 3 lead ECG
• Taking a 12 lead ECG
2 Rescuer CPR including:
• Seamless changeover
• Use of AED
• Airway management
• Double and triple airway manoeuvres
• Use of suction devices
• Oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal airways
• Use of bag valve mask with oxygen
Medication Administration and Pain Management:
• Intramuscular injection
• Use of nebulised medications
• Use of GTN and Aspirin
Bleeding Management including:
• Combat arterial tourniquet
• Packing gaping wounds
Extrication Techniques including Spinal Precautions:
• Scoop stretcher and head blocks
• Spinal board, spider harness and head blocks
• Carry canvas
• Pelvic binder
• Traction splint
• Provide a copy of either HLT41115 Certificate IV in Health and/or HLT41120 Certificate IV in Health Care or above or other suitable evidence.
• Provide photo I.D on entry
• Perform uninterrupted CPR for at least 2 minutes on an infant manikin and adult manikin on the floor and use of an AED and apply appropriate first aid procedures.
• Unless exempt, provide a verifiable USI number
• Be physically fit and healthy with capacity to perform manual tasks
• Be able to read, write, communicate orally, and understand and interpret complex information and situations
• Interact with others and work under pressure
• Dress appropriately
Please ensure you read our Student Handbook for further information on our policies, procedures, terms, and program conditions.
If you are unsure if you require learning support, SDS can provide access to a LLN assessment that identifies if any learning support is needed. Please ensure you inform the training team on registration, if you fail to inform the training team at registration, learning support may not be available on the day of training.
Self-Paced Pre-Course Learning
Participants will be required to undertake pre course learning and successfully complete a series of online knowledge assessments. This must be completed prior to attending the classroom session. Time-frames to complete the online learning vary as it is self-paced and will be dependent on each individual learner, however, we estimate an approximate time-frame of 16 hours.
The classroom component is delivered over two (2) days and consists of classroom-based theory learning with practical activities and assessment.
100% attendance is required for the classroom time due to the level of course content.
$950.00 (Plus GST)
Assessment includes written and/or multiple-choice knowledge assessment and practical based skills assessments.
On completion of the course participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance in Pre-Hospital Health Care - Skills Maintenance.
In addition and on successful completion of all pre course, in class learning and assessment participants will receive a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for:
• HLTAID009 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
• HLTAID010 Provide Basic Emergency Life Support
• HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
• HLTAID014 Provide Advanced First Aid
To ensure your skills and knowledge are maintained it is critical you undertake regular skills maintenance training.