This course is for those who provide initial pre-hospital and out-of-hospital patient assessment, healthcare, and transport services. Participants will possess clinical skills and provide clinical assessment and pre-hospital and out of hospital interventions to patients in an emergency, including providing advanced skills in life support.
The qualification applies to those working in a variety of roles within the health care and patient transport system. To achieve this qualification, participants must have completed at least 160 hours of clinical practice in the workplace.
This qualification requires successful completion of 17 units of competency consisting of 9 core units and 8 elective units. The elective units have been selected based on industry requirements.
• CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
• CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
• HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
• HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
• HLTOUT001 Implement safe access and egress
• HLTOUT005 Assess and deliver standard clinical care
• HLTAMB010 Communicate in complex situations to support health
• HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
• HLTWHS006 Manage personal stressors in the work environment
• BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
• HLTOUT006 Transport emergency patients
• HLTOUT007 Transport non-emergency patients under operational conditions
• HLTOUT008 Manage a scene
• HLTOUT009 Manage the scene of a major incident
• PUAEME004 Provide emergency care for suspected spinal injury
• HLTHPS009 Perform IV Cannulation
• HLTCAR001 Perform electrocardiography (ECG)
• Provide photo I.D on entry
• Unless exempt, provide a verifiable USI number
• Provide a current HLTAID014 Provide advanced first aid or equivalent and HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation and oxygen therapy
• Be physically fit and healthy with capacity to perform manual tasks
• Be able to read, write, communicate orally, and understand and interpret complex information and situations
• Interact with others and work under pressure
• Dress appropriately i.e., long sleeve, long pants or overalls, safety boots/closed in shoes, safety glasses
Please ensure you read our Student Handbook for further information on our policies, procedures, terms, and program conditions.
If you are unsure if you require learning support, SDS can provide access to a LLN assessment that identifies if any learning support is needed. Please ensure you inform the training team on registration, if you fail to inform the training team at registration, learning support may not be available on the day of training.
Self-Paced Pre-Course Learning
Participants will be required to undertake pre course learning and successfully complete a series of online assessments prior to attending the classroom session. Timeframes to complete the online learning vary as it is self-paced and will be dependent on each individual learner, however, we estimate an approximate timeframe of 4-8 hours per module.
The classroom component is delivered over twenty (20) days and consists of classroom-based theory learning with practical activities and assessment.
Self-Paced Post Course Learning and Logbook
On completion of the classroom-based component, participants will be required to complete post course learning and assessment and undertake 160 clinical hours of direct patient care.
Work placement opportunities available through partners.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
$11,500.00 (No GST applicable)
Minimum payment of $1,500.00 is applicable for self-funding students to secure your enrolment ,with the remaining course fees required prior to completion.
Assessment includes written and/or multiple-choice knowledge assessments and practical based skills assessments.
On successful completion of all pre course, in class and post course learning and assessment and logbook showing 80 clinical hours of direct patient care participants will receive a nationally recognised qualification in:
• HLT51020 Diploma of Emergency Health Care
To ensure your skills and knowledge are maintained it is critical you undertake regular skills maintenance training.